Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tug-of-War and Other Bits of Inspiration

~click on the image to view it larger~
This drawing has been in my head for a month–what a relief to get it out on paper! In the photo that inspired this piece, the figures are wearing "US"-emblazoned jerseys. Since I have no interest in making some sort of bizarre and ambiguously patriotic statement, I decided to give my characters snazzy blue jerseys instead;)

The little animal-headed athletes that I've been making lately are inspired by this book that Dawn gave me about the 1919 Inter-allied Games.

My copy of Uppercase's book on Swedish artist/illustrator/blogger Camilla Engman arrived yesterday! I'll spare you the hyperbolic raptures that I've been experiencing and say only this: you need a copy too. You really do. The arrangement of items above (including the Camilla book there on the bottom right) is my little ode to Camilla's own collections and arrangements. At first it was an accident that my worktable was so color-coordinated, and then I helped it out a little bit;)

2 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Wonderful miniature worlds.

Dawn Evans Scaltreto said...

I really splurged on that book. Cost me a dolla! Glad you are having so much fun with it!