Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Awkward Phase



I worked this new illustration up to its "adolescent phase" today. In my experience, most paintings go through an awkward stage at some point in their development. I always tell my students not to worry--the painting is just growing out its bangs and experimenting with eyeliner for the first time. Once it gets its braces off things will start to come together.

My own actual, physical awkward phase was exceptionally long, thanks to a continuous string of awful haircuts that began circa. 1985:
I did finally gain control over my own hair in 1990, but by then I was a freakishly gangly middle schooler, so it was kind of a moot point. But everyone grows out of that phase eventually. I can still remember that day in eighth grade when I realized that I was no longer three feet taller than all of my peers. The best part about the awkward phase of a painting is that it is much, much shorter than that of a tween.

4 comments:

ArtSparker said...

I had an awkward phase too...sometimes I think I am just starting to be an adult, and only some of the time.

Is the world surprising or terrifying? Depends on the day.

Kaetlyn Wilcox said...

....and the weather. But I think mostly it's a bit of both. For me there will always be terror in the world as long as snakes continue to exist. But then...if snakes were to go extinct that could really mess up some ecosystems. And that would also be terrifying.

Anonymous said...

Its so good to hear other people talk about this. It really does happen with every illustration! I still momentarily panic...

Kaetlyn Wilcox said...

Oh man, I have those moments of panic too:)