Tuesday, December 22, 2009

IF:Undone

'Tis the season for some existential brooding.
Hamlet came all undone, which led to his further (and rather complete) undoing.

A little sketchbook drawing/cut paper experiment for this week's Illustration Friday theme. To see a closer view, just click on the image. The portrait of Hamlet is the picture I've had in my head since high school, when I first read the play. I've never noticed before, but he sort of looks like Jude Law. I completely stole the concept for this drawing, as well as some critical particulars, from this still of Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet:

I couldn't help it. The play within the play is my favorite part.....of the play. It's such a rich and juicy image!

I couldn't resist including a tiny Ophelia in there as well. Once again, I'm harkened back to my teenage years--locked in my room, brooding, painting drowning Ophelias and singing along earnestly to Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes. Being over thirty is so awesome.

3 comments:

Mary P. said...

I love this take. Yummy creative.

ArtSparker said...

I love that Ophelia particularly - her absence, and the off-scene nature of her demise.

Liz Wong said...

I love toy theaters. I was looking through your blog and your site and love your work!