Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Hunt for that Festive Seasonal Glow

That ghastly spectre, Consumerism-on-Steroids, has really been cramping my festive feeling this year. But I've finally managed to pull through. Here's how:Our neighborhood is peaceful. Especially at night after a snowfall, dotted here and there with Christmas lights.
My mom and I spent six hours making Christmas cookies. I have my mom's hands. Right now mine probably look exactly like hers did when I was born. And hers look exactly like mine will in 30 years.
We have the best angel on top of our tree (which is really more of a bush). My husband made it when he was about nine years old.
When I bought this ornament, I also bought one for my friend Heather. Some years she keeps hers on her kitchen window sill after she's taken her tree down. I like knowing that we have the same one. Plus I have that thing for birds and nests and such.

Charley and I bought this guy in Key West. Last night, while we were decorating the tree (bush), Charley asked, "How many times do you think we'll have to glue those legs back on over the years?" And there it was at last: a full-blown festive seasonal glow. I hope you've found yours too! Peace and Hugs:)

3 comments:

MP said...

Aww, that's very sweet! MY G-ma used to make those kinds of delicious cookies! I think the nest looks a bit like Oscar the Grouch, but that's okay too.... I totally envy your ornaments! Perhaps I'll have to get out the old styrofoam ball and make myself a new one. :) Merry Wintermas!

Kaetlyn Wilcox said...

Mare,
Ah Ha! I see Oscar the Grouch now too:)
Lovies!

Unknown said...

love the frog! happy holidays :)