Monday, March 24, 2008

Blech.

Today was one of those blech art-making days.  Just blech.  I was working on my new painting/collage triptyph, and I had to sacrifice some little things I liked for the good of the whole.  The fact that this makes me anxious is funny for several reasons:

1) this is the nature of the beast (beast=painting)
2) I intentionally set up my process so that these moments of sacrifice and revision are inevitable
3) the most interesting and surprising parts of my paintings always arise from these kinds of struggles

And yet, here I am, stewing in my little anxieties and mourning the "trimming" of my beloved pumpkin runners. 

Sometimes my painting anxieties turn to fear.  I am going to nip this fear in the bud by arriving at my studio at 7:30 tomorrow morning, and attacking.  I am going to wrestle the fear to the ground in the early morn.  So there it is, blogged in stone.  The pressure is on.  If you want to drop in and visit, I'll be in my studio at 7:30am, looking crazed and rocking out to NPR's Morning Edition.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I guess even spray-fixing wouldn't have saved the pumpkin runners... *sigh*