Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Little Balance Goes a Long Way

I made this guy today.  I'm kind of in love with the way he turned out.  I think he'll look really snazzy once I mount him on a panel.  The boxes that I've been painting for the Teeny Tiny Art Show are more labor intensive than I realized they would be, and I've been fretting about finishing on time.  I've also been feeling a little bit exhausted and icky lately.  So I spent some time last night and this morning regrouping, and trying to think of a way to simultaneously give myself a break and make really good work.  I decided to make a series of simpler, small works on paper to go along with the three boxes I've finished so far.  I let myself (forced myself?) to be a little looser than usual with the ink and paint.  I felt really balanced while I was making this piece–like I was painting skillfully without working myself into a frenzy of crazy perfectionism.  I'm going to try that again tomorrow:)

Here are some shots of the boxes I've finished since my last post:
 Anya guessed the idiom!  That ghostly subtitle at the bottom reads: "The Tale of a Dubious Friendship." It opens up to this:

This next one is super tiny:
And the idiom is harder to guess.  But can you?  I'll give you a hint:  what is the malevolent-looking girl on the left doing?  The word "gesture" in the title is also helpful.  

8 comments:

Valerianna said...

Ok, I'll try again... she;s throwing a bird. I love this series, even if I AM pitiful at idioms!

Michelle said...

Those are so neat! (And I'm pretty sure I've figured out what that girl on the left is doing...)

Kaetlyn Wilcox said...

Valerie, you're so close! She's flipping it:)

Valerianna said...

I knew I wasn't QUITE right... but couldn't for the life of me remember the right one... wow, how interesting to find how VERY challenged I am with idioms... I think its 'cause I always say them wrong anyway! Like a friend is always laughing at me when I say "there by the grace of god go I", forgetting the "but"!! I'm glad I'm good at other things....

Three Graces said...

don't fret! the boxes are AMAZING and do look extremely labor intensive! i'm also in love with the teacup collector:)

ArtSparker said...

Heh, that's rude. Wicked funny, though.

MP said...

She's Kaiser Sose-ing the bird! (Ok, random and probably misspelled movie reference...) I like the freedom and almost slight cartoonish quality to the teacup bull. (New breed? Will everyone be carry them around in their purses?)

Bravissimo! <3

Emma said...

hilarious, and gorgeously painted. i love tiny, precious objects, like boxes, and all the better to find a funny little painting inside. great work - i've just become a follower!