Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Woodland Chronicles Continued....

Some new guys:
This turtle is my new love.


And the whole group together:
The Woodland Chronicles is the name of this series and also the title for my upcoming June show at Three Graces Gallery in Portsmouth, NH.

I have more on my plate than usual, so my posting is correspondingly lighter than usual:)  I'm also taking a break from Illustration Friday for the next couple of months.  

Oh, and if you live in the Boston area, come visit me at the Watertown-Belmont Open Studios on April 24th and 25th.  My studio is located in the Arsenal Center for the Arts.  There will be snacks!  Someone once did admit that he'd only come to my opening for the snacks.  He added that he'd just gotten out of prison and hadn't had real cheese in two years.  That was the same opening where another man brought a tote bag full of his own paintings with him.  He cornered me for about half an hour, pulling out painting after painting, pointing out the high level of skill required to execute each one.  Finally, he took out his sketchbook and began flipping through page after page.  He turned to a pencil drawing of a seashore and a lighthouse.  It was very tiny and gestural, roughly drawn with thick pencil lines.  He told me that if I'd had a magnifying glass, I'd be able to see that he'd drawn a tiny lighthouse keeper inside the lighthouse.  And if I'd had a microscope I'd also be able to see that the keeper was wearing a tiny raincoat and holding a tiny lantern.  Crazily poetic.  Poetically crazy.  

3 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Hmm, do you have opossums there? The guy at the opening reminds of some of Steven Millhauser's stories.

Kaetlyn Wilcox said...

I don't think I've read Steven Millhauser--I'll have to take a peek at his work. That man really did give me the feeling that he'd just stepped out of a short work of fiction.

We DO have opossums. But I find them so creepy and gross that I'm planning to cruelly exclude them from the Woodland Chronicles. Blech! Begone, disgusting wormy tail!

esma said...

love this :)