I'm continuing to enhance my illustration portfolio. This is a book jacket cover that I'm making for a story I made up. I've actually only made up parts of it, but they're the most exciting bits.
I was really liking this painting until I mucked up the background on Friday and killed some of the magic. So I ended up restarting the piece. My goal is to adapt my fine art style to illustration work, while maintaining the uniqueness of that style and working efficiently. The stuff that I was doing to the background ran counter to all of that. But the process helped me to pinpoint and better articulate those goals. So I've restarted in a way that I think will work better. In the meantime, here's a close-up of the mucked up version: