Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Birthday Blog, or Good Ol' 12/10 is Here Again

Somehow (and I don't know how this happened) I've turned 30.  Ee Gads!

Yesterday I made this little painting of a cerulean warbler woman.  This photo is an abomination, but you get the idea.  Today I'll refine her dress and body, and then I think she'll be finished.  I like the simplicity of this image--it feels good.  My impulse is usually to clutter and muck things up a lot.  But I think this bird lady works just as she is.  I might add some stars though.  Just a few!  I also took 3 little paintings to the framer yesterday.  I love my framer, and I highly recommend them, even though I'm tired of framing my work.  

And I can't even believe that I forgot to mention the fact that I am now the proud owner of two little Deb Putnoi paintings!  As you can see, they live above my plants.

And I am also the proud new owner of this Cat Bennett painting that I wrote about here.  The bowl and vase below it are wedding presents, and the little glass basket-looking thing was my grandmother's.  I've been nesting like a fiend.

These Dust Bunnies by Janet Scudder were also wedding presents.  They're made from repurposed socks and other kinds of clothing.  I feel like Janet needs an Etsy site, but until she puts one up, you can buy these little buddies, and lots of other handmade goodies, at the Arsenal Center for the Arts December Shop.

I feel the need to share the manner in which my beloved husband, washer of dishes, folder of laundry, and chronic older brother, tries to torture me.   Because this (see above) is how he "hid" my birthday present.  In plain site, wrapped in a towel.  He brought it home, put it right there next to the attic stairs, and told me not to look at it.  But ha HA, I passed the test!  "Don't look at it," obviously means "don't look under the towel," which I did NOT do.  But analyzing the size and shape of the box was clearly fair game.  And lifting it with closed eyes, to determine the weight, was also not forbidden under the rule, "don't look at it."  In any case, I'm glad this only went on for 1.5 days.  

2 comments:

Richard Jenkins and Dan Mazur said...

You're baaad!
Richard J

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Kaetlyn! Welcome to the old ladies club!